Don’t we all just love fall weather? Cooler temps, trees changing, and the smell of fires in the fireplace. It is a grand season indeed. But look out, old man winter is just around the corner and can strike without warning.
Fall is a great time to take a serious look at your car or truck and get some basic maintenance done before winter hits.
- Check your tire pressure. The variance in pressure when it was warm (in the 80’s) compared to when temperatures are in the 30’s and 40’s could be 10-15psi.
- Make sure your tires are in good condition. Worn tires lose grip in snow. Either get new tires or perhaps consider special snow tires for added traction.
- Check Coolant level and quality. If it’s been a while since you last flushed, now is a good time to change out your coolant. AMSOIL Coolant is a great choice.
- Use AMSOIL Coolant Boost for quicker engine warm-up times and advanced corrosion protection.
- Be sure your fuel system is in good running order. Use AMSOIL PI every 4,000 miles to insure good starting and engine performance in cold temperatures.
- If you have a diesel engine, be prepared with AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate with Cold Flow Improver (also available as a separate product).
- Check your battery, how old is it? Maybe it’s time to replace it before you really need to, because the the last thing you want is for your vehicle to not start on a cold morning.
- Brake pads as well as brake fluid should be checked. Some manufacturers recommend changing brake fluid annually or bi-annually. AMSOIL manufactures an excellent synthetic brake fluid.
- Change oil before winter. Oil contains additives to help insure good protection (pour point depressants, anti-rust protection and dispersants to help with fuel dilution) AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils offer the best protection for cold temperatures.
- Transmission and other fluids also need to be changed periodically, though not as often as engine oil. Be sure your cars and trucks are protected with quality products.
These are just a few tips and ideas to help you get through winter without breakdowns or sudden, unexpected repairs.
For a specific breakdown of the AMSOIL products recommended for your vehicles, check out the AMSOIL Online Lookup Guide. This program features an easy and convenient way to look up products, the lookup guide also links to the AMSOIL MyGarage feature that allows you to store and track your vehicle maintenance. Check them both out.
If you have a comment or would like to offer other fall maintenance tips, please leave a comment below!
Thanks for Reading!